Tuesday, January 24, 2017

First Post - Who am I?



Hi 

My name is Cynthia Frownfelter-Lohrke.  I have been in Higher-Education as a business professor for over twenty-three years.  I have taught at large state schools but for the past sixteen years, I have been teaching at a small liberal arts school in Birmingham, Alabama.  About five years ago, the business school was given a mandate to put all of our MBA courses online.  I had taught the graduate MBA MIS course for eleven years so I was asked to faciltate getting that course online.  In preparation for that process, I took a series of classes and earned a certificate in online learning.  It was a valuable experience but I felt that I needed more knowledge about learners, learning, and the interactions that come with online and blended courses.  I have now taught that course online four times and continue to evaluate and change it.  When the opportunity came about to study IDTE, I was excited and have been loving learning more about this field.  I am looking forward to learning how to create course content with Adobe Captivate.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, am transitioning from more traditional to online coursework. I know that secondary schools are headed in that direction, and we will need well-trained professionals to guide the process. I am hoping to play a part. I especially likes your statement about continual evaluation and improvement. Absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of areas that has really made me think more seriously about IDT is the increasing number of graduate students at Samford that work primarily in online learning environments. Graduate students have always been tough for libraries to reach out to because they generally have very busy lives and not much time for additional instruction, but now that these courses are online, I feel like it opens up a new door for libraries to get involved and make sure they are getting everything they need to make their programs a successful experience. So glad to have your expertise in our cohort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of good teaching is always trying to improve what you do. I think it is great that you are doing that, and I'd be interested to hear more about your journey as you update and change your online classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your energy and zeal to learn. I look forward to learning from the vast experience that you have to share.

    ReplyDelete