Being new to this field, I find it very interesting that
there is something of a “browser war” in e-learning software. The dominate software in this field are
Captivate and Storyline. Each has it’s
advantages and disadvantages. I have
looked at both software packages and come up with my own assessment of each
software.
I started with Captivate.
It was the software designated to be used for our class activities for
IDTE 533. It has some great features and
at the beginning I was very happy and excited about using it. During the semester, we were asked to do an
assignment in another course. This
assignment was to turn ”static instruction” into “interactive
instruction”. I decided to use
Captivate to do the assignment. My
rationale was that Captivate was built for interactivity and it had a feature
to convert PowerPoint slides.
Unfortunately, it did not work as well as I hoped. Captivate did not give me the ability to
change or edit the slides after download.
This is where Articulate can do a better job. Articulate has a better import feature for PowerPoint slides
than does Captivate. Since I have been
teaching for many years and have thousands of PowerPoint slides, Articulate may
work better for my purposes.
It does seem like it will be more compatible for pulling in all the PowerPoint slides from previous instruction. If I was still teaching ESL, I know that would be appealing to me. You wouldn't have to recreate the wheel!
ReplyDelete